Pages

Sunday 25 March 2012

On approaching adulthood


“I believe that everyone else my age is an adult, whereas I am merely in disguise.”
                                                                                                               Margaret Atwood

This quote is written on a card on my desk. It was a gift from a friend who often hears me utter the phrase, ‘When I grow up..”

Well, in a worrying turn of events, I fear that I may, without me having even noticed, grown up.

Let us examine the evidence.

  1. I live with a boy
  2. I pay bills like ‘rent’ ‘council tax’ and ‘electricity.’
  3. I have a dedicated ring-binder that contains the paperwork related to the above.
  4. I have a real professional job where I am required to wear smart clothing and keep my hair neat.
  5. I listen to radio 2.

be happy
On Life
Which leads me to the important question – what do I want to be when I grow up? I’ve included this image before, but I love it so much and it seemed relevant to include it again. Happy. I want to be happy. 

Someone who knows first hand about helping people to find out what this means to them is Michelle Woodhall, who likes to dance, has an excellent fringe and whose business is all about helping people discover the life they want to live.

She’s a life planner, which is different to a life coach or a councillor, “I support my clients to work out what their dreams are in a gentle and effective way. Rather than focusing on goals, I work to uncover passions and dreams and then find ways to incorporate the things that would make them happy into their life.”

She tells me that most people know deep down ‘what they want from life’ but most are putting it off until they retire.  

UNTIL THEY RETIRE. So, the way things are going, by the time I reach retirement they’ll be no such concept, and even if there is, there’s far too much of a risk I won’t get there – what with all the red meat and good living.

No, I’m definitely not prepared to wait that long, and the way I’m getting on with the office printer, I probably won’t last the week.

So what do I want life to be like when I’m a grown up?

I’d like:

More time outside
The chance to write more
To live near the beach
To see friends and family more often
To travel more
To live in a cottage with wooden floors and a brightly coloured front door

Perhaps with Michelle’s help, I can make it happen. You’ll just have to watch this space.


If you’d like to explore your dreams, feel stuck or fancy doing something different, you should check out Michelle’s website here.


No comments:

Post a Comment